What a year it’s been!
This year, Arcola Theatre created, built and opened a brand new outdoor venue. Arcola Outside opened in June 2021, home to Today I’m Wiser and Grimeborn. Last week, the final show of our season took to the Arcola Outside stage.
Since we reopened in June, Arcola has supported and welcomed:
🎭 40 shows
💼 33 visiting companies
🎟️ 10,314 tickets booked across six months, including:
– 300 free tickets for Hackney residents through Hello Again, Hackney
– 100 free tickets for NHS staff through Tickets for Good
We staged our first show at Hackney Empire: Die Walküre, as part of Grimeborn. With over 1,200 seats and a shared ethos, it is the perfect place to bring our work to wider audiences. We look forward to more such outings in the years to come.
So, what’s next? 👇👀
- We are thrilled to announce we plan to recommence performances in our main building next year. We will be reopening our indoor space with shows in Studio 1.
- Arcola Outside will be returning in Spring, following a short closure over winter.
- We are working on rescheduling our postponed 20th Anniversary shows.
- Over the next few months, we will be undertaking some important renovations to improve the in-person experience of visiting Arcola Theatre for audiences, artists and staff.
- We will continue to run our participation programme, including regular sessions for Arcola Youth Theatre and our 50+ group participants throughout renovations.
As for many organisations, the last 18 months have been challenging. We are proud to have responded with innovation and creativity: from building and opening a whole new venue to playing the Hackney Empire. It wouldn’t have been possible without you. We are so grateful for the support of our audiences, both on the ground and from afar.
We’re proud of what we’ve achieved in 2021 and look forward to making the announcement of our 2022 programme in February next year.
See you in the new year!
With thanks from Mehmet Ergen, Leyla Nazli, Ben Todd and all of us at Arcola Theatre.
If you saw a show at Arcola this year, we would be extremely grateful if you could fill in this short survey about your visit.