THE PLAGUE and NEW NIGERIANS return to Arcola
Arcola Theatre today announces seven new shows, playing from August to November 2018.
- Neil Bartlett’s critically-acclaimed staging of Albert Camus’ THE PLAGUE will return for four weeks only
- Oladipo Agboluaje’s NEW NIGERIANS also returns, and becomes the first Arcola production to tour the UK
- Mark Thomas brings CHECK-UP: OUR NHS @ 70 to London, exploring the state of the National Health Service on its seventieth anniversary
- A hundred years after the end of World War One, Moongate and Yellow Earth present FORGOTTEN 遗忘 by Daniel York Loh, a new play about the forgotten Chinese Labour Corps who worked for Britain and the Allies
- Following the success of Callisto: a queer epic, Forward Arena and Arcola stage Virginia Woolf’s MRS DALLOWAY, in a bold new adaptation by Hal Coase
- Gbolahan Obisesan’s adaptation of THE FISHERMEN, Chigozie Obioma’s Man Booker Prize-shortlisted novel, comes to Arcola as part of a national tour
- The internationally-acclaimed Theater an der Ruhr makes a rare visit to London with their daring reinvention of Ibsen’s masterpiece, PEER GYNT
Artistic Director Mehmet Ergen said:
“The Secret Lives of Baba Segi’s Wives, currently playing at Arcola, is the most popular show we’ve ever done. This autumn we’re making two more trips to Nigeria, with NEW NIGERIANS and THE FISHERMEN.
THE PLAGUE and MRS DALLOWAY both transform classic novels into exhilarating, contemporary stage productions. THE PLAGUE completely sold out last year, and as Europe slides further into chaos and uncertainty, it feels even more timely now.
FORGOTTEN and CHECK-UP are new pieces exploring vital yet neglected stories on major anniversaries: the centenary of Armistice Day, and the seventieth anniversary of the NHS.
And PEER GYNT is that rare thing: a totally unique, genuinely original take on a classic of modern drama.
I’m thrilled that NEW NIGERIANS will become the first Arcola production to tour the UK, bringing our work to Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham, St Albans and York.”
Priority booking is now open for Arcola Supporters.
Public booking opens Monday 16 July at 12.30pm.