PlayWROUGHT#5: Brief to Writers
Please note applications are now closed for PlayWROUGHT #5.
PlayWROUGHT is Arcola’s New Writing Programme. This programme is about working on, developing and redrafting an existing work and not about writing a new play for the Arcola.
Playwrights are asked to submit a full length play and we are looking for the hidden gem stashed in the bottom of the drawer, or the promising but troubled play that needs some love and support. Whilst we look to take some of the final 12 plays into development or production, one of the great successes of the programme to date has been in advocating for the writers and plays more widely, with many going onto future lives at other theatres. There is no guarantee that even if the play is successful in making the final 12, that it will be produced or programmed by Arcola Theatre.
Each play is read twice and the team from the Arcola will select 12 plays to take forward. These 12 plays will make up the PlayWROUGHT # 5 Festival, which will run from Monday 10th – Saturday 15th July, with rehearsal periods this week and the week prior.
In the weeks running up to the festival, successful playwrights will receive:
- A feedback report from our readers;
- The opportunity to work with a dramaturg one to one to refine their work and a new second meeting to touch base during the redrafting period;
- Space at the Arcola Theatre to workshop their play and rehearse their reading
- Support from the Arcola Theatre (marketing, technical and production based)
- Have a technical and dress rehearsal, culminating in a rehearsed reading as part of PlayWROUGHT #5 in Studio 2
- A group de-brief session with the Arcola Theatre and dramaturg following the Festival
We are only looking for applications that can be seen as new writing for the stage. No work for the screen, translations or adaptations, radio plays, poetry, musicals or comedy skits will be considered.
We do not have any specific guidance around content of plays, and we welcome plays in all genres and subject matter. We are however keeping an eye open for plays in four priority areas:
- Comedies and satires;
- Plays with a strong contemporary political and social resonance;
- Stories from, or that speak to the LGBT+ community;
- BAMER (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugees) writers.
You can only submit one play, and you cannot resubmit or amend scripts once submitted. If your play is chosen, you must be available for all the dates which will be provided in due course.
All submissions must be type-written using the font style Arial, Times New Roman or Calibri and on A4 paper in font size 12. Ensure the pages are numbered and that you include a title page with a list of characters. Please include your name on the title page only. Please include the title of the play on the footer of each page (but not your name). Please only submit script in PDF format.
If you are successful, there is programme registration fee of £150.00. This covers the time and advice of mentors, one-to-ones, the use of Arcola rehearsal and performance space and technical and marketing costs. This fee is heavily subsidized by the theatre as part of our commitment to new writing. A limited number of part bursaries are available, and information on how to apply will be provided for successful applicants
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
We aim to be back in touch in mid – March 2017.
Any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us – firstname.lastname@example.org